Saturday, November 18, 2006

Someone is looking you up on a map, right now

If you were music,
I would listen to you ceaselessly
And my low spirits would brighten up.

If you were a star,
I would gaze by the window till dawn,
And peace would enter my soul.


-- Anna Akhmatova, From March Elegies
Not yet Thanksgiving and cafed in cold Cincinnati across from the coffee and comet-eyed.
The last leg of exam days and no turkey and no peace until they're over. Philadelphia is all kinds of perfect bird (Yia Sou Andras) or will be soon. I am neck-deep in Akhmatova, Stephen Spender and there are worse ways to go. Somewhere and someday: a stone house, light pouring across the kitchen, the certain mornings of tea kettle's whistling and the rustle of still-chilly newsprint. I won't take any of it for granted.

2 comments:

anonymous said...

As an anonymous blog browser, I was wondering where you got the ideas for your profound, life-changing poetry?

a-smk said...

Dear Anon,

Thanks for the query. In response: I have a really hot boy-muse living in my neighborhood, wicked-smart, elusive and of-the-kind-of-voltage to keep the lights on--even when Duke Energy thinks otherwise.