Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Could James Brown and Gerald Ford Have Known?

That they'd be strolling into the next days together?
Today's poem was no great find on my part but on the part of Poetry Daily.


LULLABY


My little lack-of-light, my swaddled soul,
December baby. Hush, for it is dark,
and will grow darker still. We must embark
directly. Bring an orange as the toll
for Charon: he will be our gondolier.
Upon the shore, the season pans for light,
and solstice fish, their eyes gone milky white,
come bearing riches for the dying year:
solstitial kingdom. It is yours, the mime
of branches and the drift of snow. With shaking
hands, Persephone, the winter's wife,
will tender you a gift. Born in a time
of darkness, you will learn the trick of making.
You shall make your consolation all your life.


Amanda Jernigan
POETRY
Volume CLXXXVII, Number 3
December 2005

3 comments:

The Juan said...

AWP? Will I see you there? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? ...?

Let me know where you'll be, Ms. Blue.

a-smk said...

Hey!
Does some place in Atl. serve elipses...?

I was woefully unaware.

Cindy said...

Nice poem! More!