Friday, April 06, 2007

With Apologies to the Emuist

Who regularly doses me with sci-fi and like my friend, Maggie once adviced me "when a beautiful man serves you, you should never turn the spoon away, " so I read and I admire...
And yet, this has been a few weeks of revelling in the odd little finds of books and pamphlets and chapbooks that I can finally w/o guilt, DEVOUR.

Currently, Jillian Weise is blowing me away (BUYBUYBUYthisbook!) expect postings later. I am also reading Black Box by Erin Belieu and this little jewel, from which I offer you a taste:

Upon Discussing Whether We Should Condescend to Science-Fiction Writers

Let's pretend we really believe fanged anorexic midget space aliens want to rape our pets and turn the President of the United States into soggy cotton candy....

from Steve Fellner's Blind Date with Cavafy


2 comments:

Veace said...

Hey, how are you feeling about Black Box? I've been reading it excessively lately. Call me. We'll talk ...

a-smk said...

The poems I saw initially reminded me a bunch of The Puppetmaster, but now, I am seeing a more Victorian bit (I feel Emily D. mentioned in relation to them). In some ways, Cate Marvin comes to mind but not quite. Yeah, we'll talk. Read Jillian Weise, also I have this weird little limited ed. chapbook thingy I've been quoting a lot from that I'll send you soon. (Mean Streets Press?)